Video files debugging....

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at spymac.com
Sat Apr 16 07:29:51 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 04:17 +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> YES !!!
>
> Your fix doesn't work in Warty, but it works in Breezy !
> All my VMW files (I have bunch of them with that sound problem), now
> play the audio track perfectly !
> Even the MOV files, although you said wouldn't be affected by your fix,
> now work perfectly as well !!! :o)
First of all, I'm glad that it did work with and solve your problem (and
hopefully others too).
Second, the reason it didn't work with *.mov files on my side is that I
installed w32codecs in the wrong place (I installed it manually in
"/usr/local/lib/win32" instead of "/usr/lib/win32". After you said that
even *.mov worked with you, I start to check my installation/settings
until I figured out what's wrong. So thank you.

> And all for the sake of a '7' instead of a '1', in some hidden text
> file, as usual in Linux...
Now the explanation:
MPlayer and Xine both have the ability to decode sound streams of type
Windows Media Audio (version 1 and 2) in two different ways, either
using the open source FFMPEG's ffwma decoder (this is the default), or
the "wmadmo.dll" Win32 file/codec.  The problem is that the FFMPEGs WMA
decoder is not mature enough yet! (the CVS version is, though). And
since it's the default, everybody is thinking the problem is in the
w32codecs which isn't!  The problem is that (older) MPlayer and Xine are
using FFMPEG's instead of the Win32's. The fix for Xine (and hence for
Totem) is to pump-up the priority (to 7 instead of the default 1) of the
Win32 so that it override FFMPEG's (which has the priority of 6). And
that's all (as for MPlayer for those who have the problem, just pass the
option "-ac wmadmo" to it or put "ac = wmadmo," (note the "," at the
end!) in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf to be the default always.

> Ziyad, you are a super hero, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK
> YOU !!! :o)
>
> You deserve a medal !
You're very VERY welcome. And I'm sooooo glad I could help on this one.

> Thanks again, as far as I am concerned, Ubunt was 90% perfect, now
> thanks to you it's 92% perfect, almost there !! :o)))))
The list is here to help everybody so don't be shy, just ask!.

> Hoary definitely isn't for me, but this Breezy, especially with your
> help, is already pleasing me quite a lot, can't wait for actual
> development work to start ! :o)
Each release of Ubuntu is definitely better than the old one. But Hoary
is working for me like a charm. (I almost don't have any compliances
whats-so-ever!)

> --
> Vince, overjoyed, and glad to be part of this great community...

Ziyad.