Partition sizes and data

David david at kenpro.com.au
Wed Apr 13 13:38:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 07:39:50AM -0400, Gary Graham wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 18:40 -0400, amigian wrote:
> > Still a newbie here. A couple of questions regarding linux partitions.
> >
> > First - Is the root partition for linux only and the Home partition for
> > the install of programs and keeping of data? If i am incorrect in this,
> > please inform me to as what is.
> >
> > Second - Approximately what are good sizes (MB) for each of the partitions?
> >
> > Thanks for the info.

I used to find this very confusing when I started.

You only NEED one swap partition and one root partition, but you can have
as many as you like (within limits of partitioning systems). There is no
necessity to have a /home partition.

It used to be that the swap partition should be double the physical RAM,
but I'm not sure this is still the case. It doesn't hurt anyway, and
that's what I still do.

You must have a root partition (mount as /), but  you can dedicate any
directory to any partition once you have set up swap and root. You can
make them any size you want. I've just done a brand new install of Hoary
and it seems to be less than 2 gig, so your / partition should be at least
10 gig, to allow for all the other exciting things you are going to add
later ;-)

The advantage of multiple partitions is supposed to be that you can
reformat, update, change distro and do all weird stuff if you have
different partitions for your /home directory without disturbing all your
personal data (assuming you are sane and store such stuff in your home
directory - database systems might put your data elsewhere than /home).

Personally, I rarely find it a good idea to have multiple partitions
unless i'm multi booting (eg: winXX and Ubuntu). There have been a few
occassions when I've run out of space on one partition while there's
plenty of space on another. Although it's perfectly possible to get around
this, if you are a beginner it's probably better not to have to worry
about it. There is no spectacular advantage to multiple partitions if you
are doing a simple home/work desktop machine.

If I were you, I'd just have swap and root and leave it at that.

David.