cd ejection

Norman Silverstone norman at littletank.org
Wed Apr 13 13:20:31 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 19:11 +0100, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> There are 2 users on my machine my wife and myself. My wife had been
> using the computer earlier today and when she had finished I decided,
> for the first time, to change to my desktop using Applications-> System
> Tools-> New login. Some time later I came to eject a CD from the drive
> and could not do so although only about half an hour before I had been
> able to. The error message told me that only my wife could eject the CD.
> Therefore, I changed desktops, this time using System-> Log Out and then
> ejected the CD. I am using Hoary and this has never happened to me
> before. Could someone please explain to me what is going on and why this
> should happen?
>
> Norman

I am disappointed that no one has yet been able to answer the question I
raised. Perhaps I did not make myself very clear. The problem is that if
I use 'System -> Log Out' when changing from one user to another there
is no problem in the user ejecting a CD. However, if 'Applications ->
System Tools -> New Login' is used to change from one user to another
then sometimes the user is able to eject a CD and sometimes eject does
not work. Why?