Totem: gstreamer or xine?

joelbryan joelbryanster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 03:22:14 UTC 2005

The default totem packaged installed in ubuntu is the dummy totem, which use
the gstreamer framework.

However, I could not play the WMV's, ASF's even installing the w32codecs and
the gstreamer-plugins. This now point me to installing the totem-xine
package, that would uninstall the gstreamer framework, which is I believe is
better than standalone xine, because of integration to GNOME.

I like to view the proprietary files but I like it to use the gstreamer
framework.

Maybe this is just a wrong installation, I want to ask, is this also
happening to you after installing the w32codecs and gstreamer-plugins stated
in the ubuntu tips & tricks procedures.

Best Regards,
Joel Juliano