Password required to use Modem Monitor Applet

Luke Seubert luke.seubert at verizon.net
Mon Apr 11 10:05:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 08:41 +0300, afmdg wrote:

> The modem applet uses network-admin program. Then, you need
> administrator privileges.
> I don't use it for that.
> He can try gnome-ppp, frontend of wvdial, who is in universe.
> You dont' need password. You have no problem with on, off modem.
>
> Michel

Thank you Michel. I shall advise my friend to follow your advice.

It is strange though, that Ubuntu Gnome does not have a proper default
install of a Panel Applet to run a modem without resorting to password
access. One shouldn't really have to download such software after an
install. Not everyone is hooked up to broadband over ethernet. Ah, c'est
la vie.

Cheers,
Luke