apt cache backup

jobezone ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Apr 10 21:04:53 UTC 2005

Simon Taplin Wrote:
> Whats the best way using tar to compress all the files in /var/cache/apt
>
> whiel keeping the directory structure and more importantly, the
> permissions for the folders and files?
>
> Simon
> --
>
> Jabber IM: SimonT at Jabberafrica.org

I think that's the advantage of using tar, in that it mantains the
permissions of files and directories your are taring.

I've had to tar more than once my home directory, and it worked fine.
One time there was a problem, where the ownership of all my files where
given to another user, since I decompressed it when I was logged inside
the other user's login.

Also, tar doesn't do any compression, you may want to gzip, or bzip2 it
to shrink its size.

Do "man tar" to read the it's manual.

--
jobezone