hindsight/user experience

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 8 21:57:39 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 05:40:49PM -0400, John Billings wrote:

> > The installer displays a prominent warning and asks the user for
> > confirmation before making any destructive changes; it defaults to the safe
> > option.  This is the only realistic safeguard we can create against this
> > situation.
>
> I would just like to suggest that maybe the warnings aren't scary
> enough.

The name of the menu item is "Erase entire disk".

The subsequent confirmation dialog reads " WARNING: This will destroy all
data on any partitions you have removed as well as on the partitions that
are going to be formatted." and defaults to "No" (do not proceed).

We discussed turning it red, but for technical reasons this was not feasible
at the time.  "Erase", "WARNING:" and "destroy" are all clear and strong
language, though.

--
 - mdz