Dual boot question?

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 17:32:22 UTC 2005

Okay, you can probably ask this question five times and get ten
different suggestions for how to do it, but here's a pretty easy way
that works not only with ubuntu but most any recent distribution
(dual--booting used to be much trickier).

Assuming you have windows on the 1st (which would *probably* be hda in
linux), install your second drive, (make both master on their own
controller if not SATA) and tell Ubuntu to install on that drive.  But
when it asks you about the boot loader, tell it to put grub in the
master boot record for hda (hd0 acording to grub).  Then just remember
your main drive when you're runing linux is hdb (note these disk names
could vary if you're doing something less typical like using an add-in
ide controller or using onboard SATA controller that may be tertiary &
quaternary controllers, etc.).  One other suggestion, is to leave a
little bit of room (3 or 4 gb) on the 2nd (linux) drive, to create a
fat32 partition.  This will give you common space that you can easily
move stuff back & forth between your windows installation and linux.

Hope this helps.