iMac: installing to a secondary Firewire drive?

John Levin john at technolalia.org
Thu Apr 7 17:01:35 UTC 2005

On 7 Apr 2005, at 15:39, Asko Kauppi wrote:

> I have a "flat screen" iMac that I'd like to try Ubuntu on, _if_ it
> poses no threat to the existing OS X installation.  There is a
> firewire drive I could spare some 6-10GB for a working Ubuntu install,
> if it's possible to do so.  I won't touch the main hard disk.  period.
>
> So..  Is there anyone who'se done this, or a neat hand-holding guide
> to get there?  I know the fw drive will need to be repartitioned, and
> issues like that.
>
> In a Perfect World, the Ubuntu/ppc boot cd could have a partitioning
> tool capable of doing all this (incl. shrinking the existing fw data?)
> but that'd be too much to be asked in 2005, would it?
>
> Without such a tool, running Ubuntu on PPC hardware will be limited to
> the all-for-linux guys (I'm not) and those having old hardware (within
> 2 years, this will apply).
>
> thanks. :)  -ak

The only thing I've found that might help you is:
http://www.orawski.com/~timon/debianppc-usb/index.php
No idea if firewire rather than usb would make a differenec.
This is one of those things I'd like to try, but lack both time and
equipment (ie external hd)

Hope this helps

john

www.ubuntulinux.org