iMac: installing to a secondary Firewire drive?

Asko Kauppi asko.kauppi at sci.fi
Thu Apr 7 14:39:38 UTC 2005

I have a "flat screen" iMac that I'd like to try Ubuntu on, _if_ it
poses no threat to the existing OS X installation.  There is a firewire
drive I could spare some 6-10GB for a working Ubuntu install, if it's
possible to do so.  I won't touch the main hard disk.  period.

So..  Is there anyone who'se done this, or a neat hand-holding guide to
get there?  I know the fw drive will need to be repartitioned, and
issues like that.

In a Perfect World, the Ubuntu/ppc boot cd could have a partitioning
tool capable of doing all this (incl. shrinking the existing fw data?)
but that'd be too much to be asked in 2005, would it?

Without such a tool, running Ubuntu on PPC hardware will be limited to
the all-for-linux guys (I'm not) and those having old hardware (within
2 years, this will apply).

thanks. :)  -ak