audio/visual

ulrich steffens ulrich at barfuss-jerusalem.org
Thu Apr 7 14:22:32 UTC 2005

Am Mittwoch, den 06.04.2005, 20:26 -0700 schrieb Karl:
> Been having problems getting the audio and video to sync in both
> mplayer and xine for awhile now. Am I alone? Using Hoary.
>
> --
>          .       .        Avoid the Gates of Hell...
>      |< /-\ (-) /-\         --=< GNU/Linux >=--
>                          Free Software for Free Minds

hi,
last night i spended some time with my hoary for cleaning up things (i
still run a warty preview that was dist-upgraded all time :)
and found out that reverting to 'totem-gstreamer' AND installing
'gstreamer-ffmpeg' was the key to my audio/video-sync issues.
totem with gstreamer backend never ever played much formats for me but
with ffmpeg it now plays all sorts of formats and is indeed in sync.

i think that the mplayer issue is that it needs lots of love while
compiling to play nice. for instance, nearly all distributions ship
mplayer without the many optimizations for specific cpus.
even gentoo avoids enabling cpu optimizations unless you enable this for
yourself. so for good performance in mplayer i found compiling your own
is mostly necessary.

--
- ulrich