everyday multimedia not supported...

Ed Sutherland digital at twcny.rr.com
Thu Apr 7 13:00:58 UTC 2005

Karl wrote:

>I don't understand what's wrong with xpdf. Or what Adobe software has to
>do with Ubuntu. Not a troll, just wondering.

xpdf is fine; indeed I've used it in a crunch when I just had to print
some PDFs. The Adobe (and kpdf, for that matter) are simply more refined
PDF applications. What does this have to do with Ubuntu? Ubuntu has this
wonderful (and most times well-deserved) reputation for being the Linux
distribution that "just works";  very little tinkering, twidling or
gear-headedness required. This one instance (Mozilla Firefox not being
able to display a common PDF file in a modern PDF reader) where Ubuntu
didn't "just work" took me aback -- hence the original question.

Ed