post-install wizard for restricted formats?

Ed Sutherland digital at twcny.rr.com
Wed Apr 6 14:39:21 UTC 2005

Thomas Templin wrote:

>On Tuesday 05 April 2005 15:59, David Feldman wrote:
>

>>Ubuntu is a great distro. That it manages to remain cutting-edge
>>and easy to install and use at the same time is impressive, and I
>>like what's been happening to the look & feel in Hoary.
>>
>>Yet I still couldn't recommend it as a good choice for users who
>>want to try Linux but don't have a savvy helper around to get it

Hoary is just a whisker away from being a mainstream MS alternative.
I've given several Linux distributions (including Suse and Linspire 5.0)
trial periods as an alternative on my work computer and Ubuntu came the
closest to the right mix. My problem was the continued disconnect
between application developers and operating system. A simple task of
viewing a PDF file with Adobe PDF reader within Firefox required too
much research. This is an area where some wizards need to be created.

Ed