post-install wizard for restricted formats?

Tue Apr 5 13:59:19 UTC 2005

Ubuntu is a great distro. That it manages to remain cutting-edge and
easy to install and use at the same time is impressive, and I like
what's been happening to the look & feel in Hoary.

Yet I still couldn't recommend it as a good choice for users who want
to try Linux but don't have a savvy helper around to get it running.
Hoary is much closer than Warty was, and I think the major stumbling
block is the restricted formats. SUSE, my current favorite in the "it
just works" category, is as easy to install as Hoary but results in a
system with support for MP3 and other formats that users will want. I
can't imagine non-technical users will be particularly tolerant of the
need to read documentation, configure repositories, etc., just to get
their MP3s working.

Anyway, I don't mean to be negative: I have a suggestion for the next
version. I presume the desire to keep restricted formats out of the
base install is a strong one. But what about some sort of post-install
wizard? The user could read a brief paragraph about restricted formats,
then use a column of checkboxes to select formats (mp3, aac,
realplayer, DVD, etc., maybe even a crossover office demo), which would
then be installed without further effort.

I honestly feel like such a tool would make a significant difference in
Ubuntu's ability to appeal to non-technical users.

--Dave