Ndiswrapper + amd64

Christoph Georgi christoph.georgi at web.de
Sat Apr 2 09:47:45 UTC 2005

I suppose the MAC of your AP is correct (00:09:5B:6D:F2:84)?!

That means that your wireless card is able to "see" your AP, however,
you AP does not "see" your wireless card. In my experience this is
usually due to a mismatch in configuration, e.g. the ESSIDs are
different, the channel is wrong or the encryption is set different.. And
according to your intercaces config file your wlan card tries to
authentificate with a wireless-key..

> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> wireless-essid TiTANS
> wireless-key xxxxxx...

Well, $ man interfaces referres for wireless settings to the man page of
iwconfig ($ man iwconfig). That states:

[...]
The security mode may be open or restricted, and its meaning depends on
the card used. With most cards, in open mode no authentication is used
and  the  card may also accept non-encrypted sessions, whereas in
restricted mode only encrypted sessions are accepted and the card will
use authentication if available. If you need to set multiple keys, or
set a key and change the active key, you  need  to  use  multiple  key
directives. Arguments can be put in any order, the last one will take
precedence.
[...]

Hence, your card will not accept any connection from an unsecure AP, and
that your AP is as it is set to open encryption..

So, lets try the following:

1. delete the "wireless-key xxxxxx..." line in the interfaces file
2. to be really sure do "$ iwconfig eth0 key open" to set the card on
open encryption mode (please post the output, esp. if something
"strange" occurs...)

There's another strange thing in your iwconfig output:

Consulting man iwconfig:

Rx invalid nwid
               Number of packets received with a different NWID or
ESSID. 		Used to detect configuration problems  or  adja‐
               	cent network existence (on the same frequency).

Rx invalid crypt
               Number  of  packets  that the hardware was unable to
decrypt. This can be used to detect invalid encryption
               	settings.

Rx invalid frag
               Number of packets for which the hardware was not
able to 				properly  re-assemble  the  link  layer  fragments
               	(most likely one was missing).

As the essid is set correctly and I haven't got a clue about frag (which
shouldn't cause any problems anyway because fools like you and me would
never mess around with stuff they don't understand ;)) it must be the
invalid crypt that messes up your network.

In short: Get rid of your encryption in the /etc/network/interfaces and
everything should work out fine; hopefully ;) (sorry, I was thinking
aloud the whole time :-#)

regards
.christoph

--