How to upgrade from warty to hoary...

Gary Jarrel gary at hybridkinetic.com.au
Sat Apr 2 01:44:18 UTC 2005

I did an upgrade as well from wartyp to hoary and had the same issue
with the kacpid which kicked in and was using 98-99% of the CPU. This
problem was predominately why I did the upgrade. Although I did have the
guts to restart the machine during the upgrade so I waited while the
upgrade process was running on the balance of CPU usage which took
approximately 3 hours.

When it finished my X failed to start properly in that the Gnome desktop
would come up but no icons or panels, just the background. After some
searching I realised that I was missing some libraries and some gnome
utilities. After installing these the system was running perfectly and
the kacpid problem went away.

- Gary