How to upgrade from warty to hoary...

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 08:39:47 UTC 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 10:21 AM, Andrea Giuliano <a.giuliano at iccu.sbn.it> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there a way to accomplish that? I don't want to install a new system,
> just to upgrade my existing warty, possibly without downloading a CD
> image, just by means of apt-get or something like that.
>
> On the other hand, are there any risks in this operation? Should I
> really install a totally new system?

Change your repositories in synaptic, or sudo vi
/etc/apt/sources.list, and replace "warty" with "hoary" wherever it
appears.

Then do a reload and smart upgrade in Synaptic, or:
apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And you will have a hoary system. You will need to log out and log in
again to get the desktop environment reloaded, and you would need to
reboot to get the 2.6.10 kernel running.

I've done this a few times, and it has worked perfectly for me every time.

Regards,
Morgan