No Sound using xawtv and/or tvtime

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri Apr 1 00:34:25 UTC 2005

You didn't say what version of Ubuntu you installed ?
With 4.10, XawTV worked 100% perfectly out of the box, sweet as
chocolate, just click'n run, as it' supposed to be.

But with Hoary 5.04, the TV card has vecome troublesome, TV won't work
properly no matter what app I tried. Looks like a bug pretty low down in
the system, either kernel or TV card module/driver, but I am not geek so
can't fix it, and since Hoary is due for release next week hence zero
hope to see it fixed, I have no choice but stick to Warty.

So, to the point, if you installed Hoary... try Warty instead, or at
least the Warty live CD, in case you have already spent lots of time
setting-up Hoary and don't want to wipe it.
But I think that the Warty Live CD doesn't use the same hardware
detection mechanism than the normal install CD, so best to install Warty
for good, even if it's just a 5GB partition in a corner[1] of your hard
drive, next to Hoary.

HTH

--
Vince

[1] Does that make any sense at all, corners in a disc ?!...