Remote Connection

Thomas Beckett Thomas.Beckett at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 10:13:11 UTC 2004

I want to enable reomote conenction to my Ubuntu box at home from my
machine here at work . I have set Gnome to allow remote connection. I
have also forwarded port 5900 from my router at home to my ubuntu box.
When I try to connect with Raal VNC (on windows) it fails with a
refused connection message (cant remember exact message as i dont have
my ubuntu box turned on today). nc does not list port 5900 as
listening even though i asked for remote connection to be enabled in
Gnome (Vino). I assume that when i enter the IP address of my
router/dsl modem at home, the packets are forwarded to my linux box on
port 5900, but that the box is not listening so it cant connect. How
can I open the port to listen?

Thanks for any help.

Tom