How to adjust screen resolution in Ubuntu ?

Brett Kirksey ubuntu-users at
Wed Sep 29 15:37:57 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 at 23:08+0800, James Yu wrote:

> I am unable to change my display resolution. I want to change it to
> 1280*960, even edit etc/X11/XF86Config-4, but it just stays at
> 1024*768.

I was having the problem that Ubuntu was always setting to the highest resolution. I was told to run:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Just hit enter for all the default settings until you get to resolution. Then make sure 1280 x 960 has an asterisk beside it. If it doesn't, navigate to it and hit the space bar. Finish the configuration, restart, and see what happens.