can't install/compile gcc-3.2

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Wed Sep 29 09:31:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:25:49AM +0200, Stefan Kluth wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > Is there particular value for you in version 3.2?  The default gcc that
> > we provide (3.3) is on the whole superior to 3.2 and compatible with it.
>
> Our collaboration has managed to write C++ code which compiles with
> gcc/g++ 3.2 but not with 3.3 and it requires a fair amount of work to make
> the transition.  For the moment gcc-3.2 is a requirement for us, but it is
> ok if it comes without direct support from universe.   Since gcc-3.2 (and
> several other versions) are in debian/unstable I would have thought these
> also appear in ubuntu/universe, unless they don't build.  Is this the
> case, or do you keep e.g. gcc-3.2 out of ubuntu/universe on purpose?

The only reason that the binaries are missing is the same reason that you
had trouble building it (bootstrapping).

It's possible that LaMont knows a quick fix that could get it built in
universe; I'm CCing him to find out.  If it's a non-trivial matter, though,
it will need to wait until after the release, since we must concentrate on
the supported packages.

> Do you know how to do this, or have a pointer to the "debian way" of
> bootstrapping a version of gcc?  I am confident that there is way using
> apt-get, dpkg and Co. to accomplish this.

I'm not aware of a documented procedure; bootstrapping is typically a brute
force sort of problem.  LaMont should know.

--
 - mdz