can't install/compile gcc-3.2

Stefan Kluth skluth at mppmu.mpg.de
Wed Sep 29 09:25:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 10:42:43AM +0200, Stefan Kluth wrote:
>
> > I seem to be finding the wholes in universe ... The background is that I
> > am investigating ubuntu as a distro for our lab (>100 users, heavy
> > scientific use and code development) and being able to have several
> > versions of gcc is important for us.  So I try
>
> Being able to have several versions, or having specific versions?

The former, perhaps also the latter.

> Is there particular value for you in version 3.2?  The default gcc that
> we provide (3.3) is on the whole superior to 3.2 and compatible with it.

Our collaboration has managed to write C++ code which compiles with
gcc/g++ 3.2 but not with 3.3 and it requires a fair amount of work to make
the transition.  For the moment gcc-3.2 is a requirement for us, but it is
ok if it comes without direct support from universe.   Since gcc-3.2 (and
several other versions) are in debian/unstable I would have thought these
also appear in ubuntu/universe, unless they don't build.  Is this the
case, or do you keep e.g. gcc-3.2 out of ubuntu/universe on purpose?

> > Now I am stuck trying the "official" procedure to build gcc.  I know I can
> > download a tarball and build directly, but that defeats the purpose of
> > using a decent distro.
>
> gcc is by nature inconvenient to bootstrap, requiring compilers in order to
> be built.  You can probably bootstrap gcc-3.2 using gcc-3.3 if you truly
> need it.

Do you know how to do this, or have a pointer to the "debian way" of
bootstrapping a version of gcc?  I am confident that there is way using
apt-get, dpkg and Co. to accomplish this.

Cheers, Stefan

---Stefan Kluth, PhD----------Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter-----------
-  MPI fuer Physik         -  phone:  +49 89 32354 468  -      OPAL&  -
-  Foehringer Ring 6       -  fax:    +49 89 32354 305  -      ATLAS  -
---D-80805 Munich, Germany----e-mail: skluth at mppmu.mpg.de--------------