Synaptic error messages when hitting certain archives (WAS: Interesting apt-get problem)

Oliver Grawert hostmaster at grawert.net
Tue Sep 28 21:56:22 UTC 2004

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 28.09.2004, 14:28 -0700 schrieb Bob D.:

> While retrieving the sources.list information through gedit (sudo) I
> noticed that I have a sources.list and a sources.list~ in /etc/apt. I
> had previously edited the sources.list file in gedit launched from the
> terminal after a sudo command. Not sure why or where the second file
> came from. I expected gedit to overwrite the old file when I saved it
> but it appears some type of backup was made (?).

thats the way gedit saves your old version. if you run into trouble
somehow by editing a config file, you can revert the changes by simply
copying the ~ file back....

>  I think it is as I see
> in gedit's preferences it is set to make a backup copy before saving.
> This tilde file still has the universe archives commented out. Is this
> file with the tilde after it the source of the error messages? My ISP is
> Comcast.net, cable modem, through a wired Netgear router if that's any
> help.

the errors you see are caused by the fact that the main and restricted
entrys for warty are doubled in your sources list.
comment out these lines:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu warty main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu warty main restricted

and synaptic will stop complaining.

to the maintainers:

shouldn't the universe line just contain universe ?
i'd consider this a bug...

ciao
	oli

--