How to recompile ubuntu kernel

Sivan Green sivang at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 21:40:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:59:52 +0200, Paco Ros <paco at bergantells.net> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm running 2.6.8.1-686-smp kernel anf I'd like to compile a new one removing
> some things I don't use and targetting P4 CPU to optimize.
>
> I've always compiled a kernel without initrd image, but I like very much this
> way to load and unload modules (and I don't remember what options I should
> compile into the kernel :-))
>
> How do you create these kernels with initrd images? I've found some info at
> Google, but I don't know what I should put into a initrd image.
Basically, initrd ram disk image is used to kick start the kernel, in
case it was not compiled with a specific module for a specific file
system, or some hardware component.

For example, the linux ext3 most common filesystem, is not present on
the kernel by default. You either need to compile the kernel with the
fs support inside of it using the kernel configuration tools, or have
an initrd image with the driver present init for the kernel to load on
boot. It is in a way a surrogate environment for the kernel.

Sivan

> Regards.
> --
> Paco Ros