A number of problemsu

Ben Novack bennovack at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 07:01:37 UTC 2004

> > Note that on this same unsecured wireless network (Well, it's MAC
> > filtered, but no WEP or WPA), another laptop with a PCMCIA wifi card, also
> > running the Warty prerelease, has no problems getting on. In fact, it was
> > my friend's amazement that his card was detected with no problems that
> > made me decide to go Ubuntu.
>
> Glad to hear it.  What kind of card is it?  We're collecting success/failure
> reports here:
>
> http://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport

Right now the page declares itself Immutable - I assume that's just
temporary? I created the Latitude D600 entry earlier today...

> > > xsupplicant sounds like the kind of thing that we should have on the CD,
> > > packaged and ready to go.  It seems to have been added to Debian recently;
> > > I'll see if it's suitable for a late inclusion in Warty.  Meanwhile, here's
> > > a package built for Warty:
> > >
> > > http://people.no-name-yet.com/~mdz/temp/xsupplicant_1.0-1_i386.deb
> > >
> > > If you can find a way to get that onto your system, it should get you going.
> > > Install it with "sudo dpkg --install xsupplicant_1.0-1_i386.deb"
> > >
> > > In the case of OpenSSL, it's looking for the development library, while you
> > > probably only installed the command-line tools.  We don't ship development
> > > libraries on the CD (there isn't nearly enough space), though we do include
> > > the compiler and associated tools.
> >
> > Wow, many thanks for the package.
> >
> > How would I go about getting the development library? I'm having
> > enough success with the usb key that I'm reasonably confident I can
> > get files on to install them, if I know where to get them from - I'll
> > just download them in Windows and dump them onto the usb key from
> > there. I'm looking at a chicken-and-egg situation here, since proper
> > apt-getting requires network access, which requires xsupplicant, which
> > requires openssl, which requires apt-get...
>
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl-dev_0.9.7d-3_i386.deb
>
> You might also need bison and flex, according to the build-dependencies of
> the Debian package.

*blink* Bison? Flex? Okay... got them. I just hope they don't have
dependencies... Dependency Hell is *exactly* what I was trying to
avoid by sticking to Debian and Gentoo. Oh well - with luck I'll soon
be online and happily apt-getting. Thanks!