Question: which Installer?

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Tue Sep 28 05:20:50 UTC 2004

> www.ubuntulinux.org contains this paragraph:
>

>>Ubuntu is suitable for both desktop and server use. The current Ubuntu
>> release supports Intel x86 (IBM-compatible PC), AMD64 (Hammer) and PowerPC
>>(Apple iBook and Powerbook, G4 and G5) architectures.
>

> We should add a README.html to the download directory with similar
> information, and map more brand names to architecture names (e.g., Athlon64
> -> amd64, Macintosh -> PowerPC).

Even better IMV
index.html
which contains the info>
If your computer can run Windows -->
If you have an Athlon64, Opteron or similar -->
If your computer can run MAC OS or AIX -->

Are IBM {i,p}Series supported? I don't recall. No matter, just make it
clear in index.html

Don't forget when Sunny boxes are supported, and those too.

By incorporating the info into index.html you obviate the need for
downloaders to explicitly download and read the README.