Mounted partition icons

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sun Sep 26 19:35:10 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 09:21:25PM +0200, flubie wrote:

> After doing "apt-get upgrade" this afternoon, I saw that those partitions
> appeared in the desktop (as mounted disk icons). Before I felt comfortably
> by just clicking Computer>Disks from the panel.  Actually this is not a
> big deal, but I'm wondering if putting those desktop icons again (instead
> of putting them all in the panel) is a good idea.

In the long term, we would like for them to be accessed exclusively through
the panel, but there is not enough time to complete that work for the Warty
release.  Meanwhile, we needed an obvious way for users to unmount disks
which were automatically mounted (such as CD-ROMs and USB storage devices),
and without an icon appearing on the screen, it was not clear to a new user
how to do this.

Once Warty is out the door, we'll be continuing to extend and improve our
desktop model.

--
 - mdz