Ubuntu affecting Windows XP clock

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Fri Sep 24 07:58:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 04:11:31PM +1000, Stuart Bishop wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
> >Have you tried to install Windows on a system with Linux on it?  The RTC is
> >the least of your worries.  Windows has never attempted to coexist with
> >another OS.
>
> vmware installation? wine?

I don't understand what you mean.  VMWare is a machine emulator, and wine is
a runtime library.

> >The solution described in the bug allows for arbitrary operating systems,
> >as long as we can reasonably guess what they expect of the clock.
>
> What operating systems store their clock as UTC on Intel platforms? All
> the ones I'm aware of use localtime *for the very reason being discussed
> here*.

The only concrete reason that has been discussed here is that Windows uses
localtime.

All Unix-like operating systems I have used on Intel platforms store UTC in
the hardware clock.  Windows (and presumably OS/2) store local time, for
historical reasons that go back at least as far as MS-DOS.

Theirs is not an example to follow.

--
 - mdz