Skype (was Locale problem)

Fábio Mendes niels_bohr at uol.com.br
Thu Sep 23 19:14:49 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 13:36 -0500, Santiago Erquicia wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 13:56 -0300, Fábio Mendes wrote:

> > > I have a package of it! As far as I remember, it was in their official
> > > site but I'm not sure it was alienated or not. I had some problems with
> > > the shared version, but there is a tgz. for the static one which works
> > > fine but has strange font settings. I can make it into a deb if there is
> > > interest
> > >
> > > -Fabio
> >
> > I made a deb from the tgz statically compiled version of skype. We have
> > to contact skype before distribute this package, but it seems to be
> > working fine. The statically linked package is very big, but it avoids
> > downloading the QT libraries required for skype.
> >

> I'm using libqt3c102-mt for getting Qt without any problem at all.  I've
> been using this program everyday to talk to my family 10000 miles away.
>
> > -Fabio

There is already a deb (or was it an alienated rpm?) for the shared
version in skype site. I've experienced some problems registering a new
user with the shared version, so I got the statically linked one and
created a deb. I don't know which solution will be better for most
users, I guess we have to do some testing here. But hey! we can't
distribute de damn thing! Has anyone contacted skype about this? A
official representative of the project must officially ask for the
permission of distributing the program.

-Fabio