Language bindings in Ubuntu [Was: Gnome bindings]

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at canonical.com
Thu Sep 23 13:41:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 11:22 +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Yes, I'd support this. Jeff maybe it's a candidate for a bounty?

Our current policy on bindings is this:

      * We're committed to insanely great Python support throughout
        Ubuntu, and will ship a bunch of useful Python modules and
        bindings in the default Desktop install to enable that.
      * We'll support modules and bindings for other languages when they
        are required by cool applications that we don't want to pass up.
      * We will provide lots of help to interested maintainers who want
        to support their favourite language modules, bindings and apps
        that use them in universe.

So, I think that's a pretty good set of goals... But if there's any
reason to change this policy, we'll have to leave that for Hoary. ;-)

- Jeff

--
Ooh, ooh, ooh!             http://www.ubuntulinux.org/           Ubuntu!