PPC, PPP, Gnome Networking and wvdial
linuxppc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 09:56:31 UTC 2004
Thanks Matt and Colin
dial-up is now working great thanks
notes for other PPC modem/dial-u users:
- install wvdial from universe
- run wvdialconf
- add ppc_generic to /etc/module
- run pppconfig
- have a look at the GNOME networking manager(wvdial front-end) and
mess around with the options, ie. stop ppp0 and eth0 from starting on
boot up etc.
- dont connect through GNOME networking manager
- run sudo wvdial to connect
- you may have to manually set your DNS server entries - wont work
for me unless I did this ?? (you can use the GNOME network manager for
- have fun
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:28:27 -0700, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 12:45:50AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 09:18:49AM +1000, Justin Kelly wrote:
> > > Thanks again for the reply
> > >
> > > I installed wvdial and ran pppconfig as suggested, but came up against
> > > the following 'brick wall', wvdial complains that the kernel doesn't
> > > support PPP or cant be loaded, refer log below.
> > Does running 'sudo modprobe ppp' by hand help?
> "ppp_generic" is usually what's needed.
> - mdz
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
More information about the ubuntu-users