How do you automatically mount a Samba share?

Fábio Mendes niels_bohr at uol.com.br
Thu Sep 23 00:04:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 15:05 -0400, Shawn Milo wrote:
> > > I know how to do it from the command line, but I want the shares to
> > > automatically mount to directories under my home directory every time
> > > I log on. Also, I want to be prompted for the password, unless it is the
> > > same password I am using to log on to Ubuntu.
> > >
> > > Do not tell me to add the lines to fstab -- it is bad practice to hard-code
> > > passwords like that. What is the "proper" way to do this in Ubuntu? The
> > > way a "desktop user" should be able to do it, without having to resort
> > > to the command line?
> >
> > I think linneighbhood will do the trick. apt-get it!
> >
> > -fabio
> >
> > --
> >

> Yes, it will do that.  I've used that in the past.  But I would still have
> to launch LinNeighborhood every time I log in.  No good.  Is there
> no automatic way in Gnome or Ubuntu to do this?
>
> Shawn

You said you can do it from the command line. so just create a script
which do the trick and add it in "Startup Programs" at gnome-session-
manager. If you don't know how to make a script, you just need to create
a text file with each command you need to type in a different line and
put #!/bin/bash in the 1st line. Mark this file as executable (either in
nautilus or by chmod +x filename.

-Fabio