How does one mount a network share?

Shawn Milo ShawnMilo at runbox.com
Tue Sep 21 16:34:24 UTC 2004

I see no way to mount a network share.
I have a server running Slackware and Samba. I found the "Windows
Network" option under Gnome, and double-clicked it, and got nothing.
I expect to see my workgroup name.

How can this be made to work? I want to map //fileserver/divx to
/home/shawn/divx, and so on. I do not want to do it in fstab, because
I will not hard-code a password there. Is this feature fully implemented
somewhere in Ubuntu as it is in Xandros? The Xandros File Manager (XFM)
has a "Mount Network Share" in the "Tools" menu, and everything is
point-and-click.

Thanks,
Shawn