Ubuntu initial installer reactions

Shawn adonijah at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 19:31:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:51:30 -0400, David Morgan <dmorgan81 at gmail.com>
> 3) The issues with Java/Flash/MP3 are big ones, as these are three big
> things used by desktop users.  I know Slackware ships Java so I'm sure
> Ubuntu could as well, at least under restricted.  I've read that Flash
> can be distributed as long as the OS is not for exclusive use by
> kiosks.  Of course I could be really wrong, but maybe providing a
> script to download and install Flash would be okay.  MP3 is probably
> the biggest thing missing.  I don't have any suggestions on this but I
> do know that most people have MP3 collections that they would like to
> keep.  Until ogg is supported by more portable music players MP3
> support should definately be included.
>
> 4) This relates to the MP3 problem above.  Since gstreamer is built
> without MP3 support many of the internet radio stations will not work
> and Rhythmbox ends up hanging.

As you may be aware, while those things may be wanted there are a
plethora of legal issues surrounding including them. For now, you can
find many of these items in the restricted repository which can be
accessed by uncommenting it in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

Java, Flash, and MP3 support all have a plethora of legal
considerations surrounding their distribution.

Read more about this issue in the FAQ here:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/helpcenterfaq.2004-09-16.3469703387