Desktop Preferences

Rob Diehl diehlr at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 20 18:53:15 UTC 2004

I think it would be good to allow the user to change this behavior, or
notion of a "no special icons on the desktop". Perhaps, set these
options as defaults, but provide a Preferences menu in Computer ->
Desktop Preferences dedicated to what icons are shown in the desktop.

While I'm at it, I think some rearranging might be in order for the
"Desktop Preferences" menu. Really, the entire menu should be renamed to
User Preferences, or just Preferences. Desktop Preferences to me
insinuates preferences related to the desktop itself, such as
background, icon sizing, and screen resolution among other things. Items
such as PalmOS Devices, Removable Storage and Network Proxy all seem to
have little to do with the Desktop and should be moved to System
Configuration. Also, screen resolution is in System Configuration but
could just as easy belong under Desktop Preferences, or Preferences if
someone decides it should be renamed.