PPC questions

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at canonical.com
Mon Sep 20 07:17:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 00:34 -0400, David Feldman wrote:
> - Is there a way to customize the default Applications and Computer
> menus? I'd love to save some space and fold the Computer menu into the
> Applications (or GNOME system) menu and to shorten the menu names.
> (Yeah, it's creating a Windows Start menu, I know...)

You can edit the Applications menu, but you can't fold the two menus
together or change the Computer menu.

> - The Command key on my keyboard doesn't seem to map to anything. Any
> way to do something with it?

Try setting some of the macros in Keyboard Shortcuts (under Computer >
Desktop Preferences).

> - It's great to see sleep/suspend functionality supported when I close
> the lid. But is there any way to put it to sleep in software, without
> closing the machine?

>From memory, you can just use apm normally, from the command line.

> - Is there a way to edit the right-click menu for the GNOME desktop?

Not as yet. Because it's primarily a file manager menu (not a "root
window menu" in the traditional X sense), upstream don't believe it's
worth making dynamic or editable.

- Jeff

--
Ooh, ooh, ooh!             http://www.ubuntulinux.org/           Ubuntu!