Ubuntu Preview

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Sep 20 03:21:09 UTC 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 09:28:31AM +0800, John wrote:
>

>>Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>>

>>>That's what configuring PPP is about: providing a working network since you
>>>don't yet have one.
>>>

>>This is a CD install. If I don't have a fast network, let's get it over
>>and done with. We can get updates later.
>>

>Updates are irrelevant; no packages are downloaded unless you ask for it
>(the second stage installer asks a question about this).  The installer
>configures the network for you.  For ethernet interfaces with DHCP, it can
>usually do this without asking any additional questions, but PPP is not so
>simple.

Good. Don't need a network yet then. Can we leave that configuration for
later? In H?

>>>They exist for lilo, yaboot and similar loaders.
>>>

>>lilo doesn't need them, I used it for some years without symlinks.
>>

>lilo needs them in order to usefully interface with the packaging system.

Oh. I did check round my systems, only one has LILO and that doesn't
have symlinks.

>>This is not a machine that runs Yaboot.  I'm not installing lilo. If the
>>Debian/Ubuntu packaging of LILO requires them, let the LILO package create
>>them/turn them on.
>>

>If they bother you, you can turn them off.  Read kernel-img.conf(5).

I suggest turning them on only if they're needed.

>>>It isn't created by default, but /lib/firmware is searched.
>>>

>>Shouldn't the directory be iin the hotplug package?
>>

>Yes.
>

>>What does hotplug do if /usr/lib/hotplug does not exist when it's started?
>>

>It makes no difference; that directory is simply part of the search path
>used when the kernel asks hotplug for firmware.
>

>>Can Ubuntu handle /usr being on USB?
>>

>I don't think anyone has yet had the masochistic streak required to attempt
>such a thing.  Let us know how it turns out. :-)

I'll think about it. It'd be slow (USB 1).

>>>Bug; we need to find some way to suppress the popup if something is mounted
>>>manually rather than by g-v-m.
>>>

>>One of the reasons I dislike this feature so much. I've not tried it on
>>Ubuntu, or used Gnome  for years untul U, but one of the things that
>>used to infuriate me was the opening of a window on a freshly-mounted
>>loopback device:
>>mount -o loop, ...
>>and up pops a window.
>>

>Computer->Desktop Preferences->Removable Devices, and turn it off, until
>that particular case is handled more smoothly.

I found this worked wonderfully well on RHL:=)
rpm --erase ...

For now  a mate has a Thinkpad with a recalcitrant modem. I'm going to
take a U CD to him to see what happens.