Ubuntu Preview

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Mon Sep 20 02:15:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 09:28:31AM +0800, John wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >That's what configuring PPP is about: providing a working network since you
> >don't yet have one.
>
> This is a CD install. If I don't have a fast network, let's get it over
> and done with. We can get updates later.

Updates are irrelevant; no packages are downloaded unless you ask for it
(the second stage installer asks a question about this).  The installer
configures the network for you.  For ethernet interfaces with DHCP, it can
usually do this without asking any additional questions, but PPP is not so
simple.

> >They exist for lilo, yaboot and similar loaders.
> >
> lilo doesn't need them, I used it for some years without symlinks.

lilo needs them in order to usefully interface with the packaging system.

> This is not a machine that runs Yaboot.  I'm not installing lilo. If the
> Debian/Ubuntu packaging of LILO requires them, let the LILO package create
> them/turn them on.

If they bother you, you can turn them off.  Read kernel-img.conf(5).

> >It isn't created by default, but /lib/firmware is searched.
> >
> Shouldn't the directory be iin the hotplug package?

Yes.

> What does hotplug do if /usr/lib/hotplug does not exist when it's started?

It makes no difference; that directory is simply part of the search path
used when the kernel asks hotplug for firmware.

> Can Ubuntu handle /usr being on USB?

I don't think anyone has yet had the masochistic streak required to attempt
such a thing.  Let us know how it turns out. :-)

> >Bug; we need to find some way to suppress the popup if something is mounted
> >manually rather than by g-v-m.
> >
> One of the reasons I dislike this feature so much. I've not tried it on
> Ubuntu, or used Gnome  for years untul U, but one of the things that
> used to infuriate me was the opening of a window on a freshly-mounted
> loopback device:
> mount -o loop, ...
> and up pops a window.

Computer->Desktop Preferences->Removable Devices, and turn it off, until
that particular case is handled more smoothly.

--
 - mdz