Installer crashes with kernel panic

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Sep 20 01:40:32 UTC 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

>On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 09:20:14AM -0600, rodd ahrenstorff wrote:
>

>>This on an older Gatway 1200 model, 333 Celeron, 128MB RAM:
>>
>>Kernel panic: fatal exception in interrupt
>>In interrupt handler - not syncing
>>
>>This occures right after "detecting hardware to find cdrom drives"
>>progress bar.  Not sure how to gather further info.  Stock Debian
>>installer works fine.
>>

>You'll need to find out which module load is triggering the crash, and file
>a bug with details of the relevant hardware.

I'd run memtest on spec: it's a harmless enough way for your pooter to
idle away an hour or too, and it certainly resolved a problem I had with
Sarge with random segfaults in just about everything except the kernel.

A quick google will turn up ots home page and/or download location. You
just need a small binary to copy to floppy.