iMac network hardware

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Sun Sep 19 18:17:35 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 02:01:39PM -0400, Brett Kirksey wrote:
> On Sunday 19 September 2004 at 13:49-0400, Rob Diehl wrote:
> > OK, I switched to TTY2 and modprobe'd bmac, returned to TTY1 and
> > re-ran the network setup option.
>
> Ummm, if this is the kind of stuff I need to know in order to get my
> network running in Ubuntu, I'm in trouble. I have _no_ clue what or
> how to do any of that.

To translate:

  Run through the installer until you get an error message about there
  being no network card.

  Press Command-F2 (or possibly Alt-F2, Command-Fn-F2, or Alt-Fn-F2
  depending on keymap) to get to the second virtual console.

  Press Enter to enable the console, then type 'modprobe bmac' and hit
  Enter again.

  Press Command-F1 (etc., as before) to switch back to the first virtual
  console.

  Pick the 'Go Back' option at the first opportunity until you get back
  to a main menu (which you might not have seen before, as it's
  generally hidden).

  Move the cursor to "Detect network hardware", and press Enter.

  Continue with the install. If it works, send me the information I
  requested earlier so that nobody else with hardware like yours ever
  has to do this again. If not, rinse and repeat with 'mace' in place of
  'bmac'.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]