iMac network hardware

Rob Diehl diehlr at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 19 18:09:25 UTC 2004

It's not as hard as it sounds now that I know what to do. During setup,
it will eventually pop up a red screen and say it can't detect any
network hardware. At this point, press CONTROL+OPTION+F2. What this'll
do is switch you to second virtual screen. From here, type "modprobe
bmac" <w/out quotes> at the prompt. Then press CONTROL+OPTION+F1 to
switch back to the first virtual screen. Go back to main menu at this
point, and go to the network hardware detection menu option.

The other problem you're going to run into is with partitioning your
disk. Ubuntu, just like OSX, will not boot if the operating system's
main partition extends beyond the first 8 GB of your drive. So you have
to manually resize the root partition "/" to 7 GB. Then if you want to
use the rest of the disk, create another partition to fill up that space
and mount it as whatever you like. I mounted mine under "/home".

Maybe if I get the entire process down, I'll write up a short blurb
detailing all the isues involved in installing Ubuntu on the old iMac.
Hopefully all of these issues will get worked out in time.