iMac network hardware

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Sun Sep 19 13:49:30 UTC 2004

Colin Watson wrote:

>On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 09:49:28PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>

>>On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 12:42:57AM -0400, Rob Diehl wrote:
>>

>>>OK as I suspected the problem was due to the infamous 8 GB boot limit on
>>>the iMac. I set the root FS to 7 GB, swap to 1 GB, and allocated the
>>>rest of the 40 GB drive to a partition mounted on /home and it booted
>>>just fine. Still no luck with the network hardware!
>>>

>>I wonder if it is possible to detect whether the system has this limitation,
>>and size the partition accordingly.  Colin?
>>

>Sadly partman-auto is not currently very flexible at all in this regard,
>and it would take substantial work to make it so. It can vary the
>layouts by architecture and subarchitecture, and that's about it.

I've just been reading up on preseeding since some (Dave I think) gave
me the link. I don't know how it works internally, but I wonder whether
something could run before partman-auto and preseed it with information
it can use?

I note that one of the examples I read does run a script to return
preseed stuff.

See the bottom of this:
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/svn/debian-installer/installer/doc/example-preseed.cfg