iMac network hardware

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Sun Sep 19 13:30:33 UTC 2004

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 09:49:28PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 12:42:57AM -0400, Rob Diehl wrote:
> > OK as I suspected the problem was due to the infamous 8 GB boot limit on
> > the iMac. I set the root FS to 7 GB, swap to 1 GB, and allocated the
> > rest of the 40 GB drive to a partition mounted on /home and it booted
> > just fine. Still no luck with the network hardware!
>
> I wonder if it is possible to detect whether the system has this limitation,
> and size the partition accordingly.  Colin?

Sadly partman-auto is not currently very flexible at all in this regard,
and it would take substantial work to make it so. It can vary the
layouts by architecture and subarchitecture, and that's about it.

Issuing a warning might be possible (if admittedly weird -
autopartition, then be told it's wrong ...), but I'd never heard of this
problem before so I'm not sure what it would take to detect it.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]