no /dev/ppp node made; hotplug?

Michael Salivar ethyriel at nerdshack.com
Sun Sep 19 06:29:40 UTC 2004

PPP is prompting me to 'mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0' after every boot.  The
same thing happens in Arch with udev without hotplug installed, which
leads me to believe it's a deficiency in the hotplug scripts.  What can
I do to trace this back to the source so I can get this fixed
permanently, and what can I do in the meantime so I don't have to
manually make the node each reboot?  If I was in Arch I would just do it
from rc.local, but I haven't been able to figure out what the equivalent
is in Debian inits (sys V?)

This is a hard ISA modem based on the Intel/Ambient 56xx chipset, if
it's relevant I can probably get a look at the exact version.

Thank You,
Michael Salivar

By the way, this is easily the most cohesive desktop I've used, good
work!