CD optimization

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Sun Sep 19 00:01:42 UTC 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

>The second stage installer, again, asks a reasonable number of questions, in
>one batch, and then starts to install software.  At the end, it welcomes
>you.

I'd rather see the welcome rolled tastefully into the login screen.
Then, the users see it, not just the installer who may not ordinarily
use the system.

I welcome the the questions it gets over and done with early on; I'd
like to leave it alone and come back after reading the U mail to find
the login screen.

Even better, would be the ability to get the questions asked and
answered before booting to dothe install.

>Questions which do not follow this pattern are generally bugs.  The only
>example which occurs with any frequency in my experience is one question
>which is asked by the X server, in the middle of the install, if (and only
>if) it is unable to successfully probe your hardware in order to determine
>which modes to use.
>
>So if you are asking silly questions, by all means, point them out, but be
>specific.  Specific reports of problems help to get them fixed, while vague
>complaints only lead to bad vibes. :-)

I'm waiting patiently for my grumble bz password so I can grumble about
the grumble partitioning/formating silly question.

"A new account, dingo at cocon.arach.net.au, has been created and a
randomly-generated password has been e-mailed to that address. "

That was yesterday.

I've changed one letter of the domain name in the email address above,
the email address I provided is correct.