CD optimization

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sat Sep 18 23:31:27 UTC 2004

(moving to ubuntu-users)

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 11:15:20PM +0000, John wrote:

> >On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 10:38:47PM +0000, John wrote:
> >
> >>So far, I keep coming back to find it waiting with some silly Q instraid
> >>of getting on with it. Or congratulating me on my wonderful acquisition,
> >>or something.
> >
> >debootstrap does not ask any questions, ever, and only displays progress
> >messages.
> In this case I was referring to the installer overall:-)

The first stage installer asks a reasonable number of questions, in one
batch, and then goes about the work of creating filesystems, installing the
base system, and installing the boot loader.  Unless you have a non-trivial
setup (e.g., multiple operating systems installed, non-default filesystem
choices, etc.), it asks no more questions at that point, and only prompts
for confirmation before rebooting (so that you can remove the CD).

The second stage installer, again, asks a reasonable number of questions, in
one batch, and then starts to install software.  At the end, it welcomes
you.

Questions which do not follow this pattern are generally bugs.  The only
example which occurs with any frequency in my experience is one question
which is asked by the X server, in the middle of the install, if (and only
if) it is unable to successfully probe your hardware in order to determine
which modes to use.

So if you are asking silly questions, by all means, point them out, but be
specific.  Specific reports of problems help to get them fixed, while vague
complaints only lead to bad vibes. :-)

--
 - mdz