DNS timing out? (was: Network Help)

Paul Sladen sounder at paul.sladen.org
Sat Sep 18 21:43:08 UTC 2004

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Bert Martin wrote:
> I have one problem though.  My web browser is very slow to pull up
> pages.  It waits for ever to resolve the host name and then even longer
> to load the page.  I tried a ping to www.yahoo.com and it was very fast.

Sounds like the first DNS server that has been configured (probably
automatically by DHCP) may not be responding.

You can see the DNS servers that are trying to be used, by looking in:

    /etc/resolv.conf

If you have 'host', or 'dig' on the system (or anyother system), you could
try one of the following commands:

  $ dig www.ubuntulinux.org @192.0.2.100
  $ host www.ubuntulinux.org 192.0.2.100

where '192.0.2.100' would be replaced with the DNS servers in your
'resolv.conf', and see if it times out.

	-Paul

Note: libresolv should probably be fixed so that if a request fails, it
starts preferring the resolvers it has available, rather than continuing to
try the first one on every occasion...
--
Is there no safe way to travel?  Nottingham, GB