crazy color screen after boot

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at fabbione.net
Sat Sep 18 05:04:47 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Sam Folk-Williams wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just installed Ubuntu and this funny thing happens. After the system
> boots up, but before the log-in screen appears, the screen turns into
> this crazy mess of colors, flashing green and yellow. Looks like X is
> trying to start but failing. If I hit ctrl-alt-backspace to close X,
> it restarts just fine with the normal ubuntu log-in screen... I assume
> there must be some messed up configuration... This happens every time
> I boot and the fix is always the same, too. Any idea what files I
> should look at? Anyone else having this issue?

Hi,
	it would be nice if you can provide us with some information.
At the boot (when the screen goes banana) let X fails completely and grab
the log from /var/log/XFree86.0.log. Send it to us together with the
configuration file.

Perhaps it's a driver problem more than a configuration one, otherwise it
would refuse to start the second time.

Thanks
Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.