KVM and mouse problems

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Fri Sep 17 19:46:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 10:26:02AM -0600, rodd ahrenstorff wrote:

> Kernel 2.6 has problems with the ImPS/2 mouse driver and numerous KVM
> models.  I don't know if this problem is brand/model specific, but the
> mouse loses sync when the KVM is switched away > back to Linux.
>
> I've found this problem common on any Debian based distro using a
> Belkin OmniView E series 4-port KVM.  I haven't used anything but
> Debian lately.

Use a very similar KVM with Ubuntu, but the USB version, and for the most
part it works nicely (exceptions inclued DDC probing and USB storage
devices).

> Below are several methods to rectify the problem but I'm not sure what
> should be recommended.  Anyone else experience this problem?  Google
> shows a lot of traffic on this issue.
>
> a. psmouse proto=bare (add to kernel command line in grub)
> b. proto=bare (add to psmouse module command line)
> c. lsmod (to verify psmouse and mousedev modules loaded)
> d. modprobe psmouse (temporarily/manually load psmouse module)
> e. psmouse proto=imps (for wheel mice add to /etc/modules file)
> f. psmouse proto=bare (for non-wheel mice add to /etc/modules file)
> g. psmouse-noext=1 (passed to kernel during boot…unsure of success)
> h. switch to a USB mouse
> i. editing XF86Config from "IMPS/2" to "PS/2" (untested)

h. is obviously a nice option where it is available. :-)

Have you tested some of these approaches yourself?  What works best for you
with the hardware?

--
 - mdz