PPC, PPP, Gnome Networking and wvdial

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Fri Sep 17 00:25:20 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 09:03:40AM +1000, Justin Kelly wrote:
> On PPC version I would like to see wvdial included

This is a general issue, rather than powerpc-specific. I did bring it up
a while ago for exactly the same reason you did, but there are a few
scary things in the wvdial package that we'd need to fix and some people
wanted to change the GNOME networking widget instead. I'm not sure what
the resolution there was.

> Is PPP compiled in the PPC kernel by default? im no guru but i ran
> lsmod and couldnt see PPP or anyhting like this.

PPP is available as modules.

> One more question: for PPC, is it the benh kernel or the stock standard kernel?

For 2.6, these are in fact the same thing. Linus got a powerpc system
and magically all the powerpc kernel patches got merged in. :-) Ben
works in the main tree nowadays.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]